Free Standard Shipping on Binoculars and Telescopes
A Birdfinding Guide to Costa Rica
A Birdfinding Guide to Costa Rica is an essential tool that provides fifty-three of the best birding destinations in Costa Rica.
Author: Barrett Lawson
Publisher: Comstock Publishing Associates, Zona Tropical Publications, Cornell University Press
Year of Publication: 2009
A Birdfinding Guide to Costa Rica is an essential tool that provides fifty-three of the best birding destinations in Costa Rica. Marked by its superb natural beauty, Costa Rica has the greatest percentage of preserved land of any nation worldwide; nearly a third of the country is protected in national parks, reserves, and refuges. The wildlife that abounds in these tropical areas includes a stunning diversity of more than 820 bird species. In A Bird-Finding Guide to Costa Rica, Barrett Lawson offers detailed information that makes it easy for both expert and novice birders to plan and enjoy an exciting trip to this birders’ paradise.
Lawson describes fifty-three of the best birding destinations in Costa Rica. Birders will appreciate the detailed descriptions of how to bird each area, as well as the site-specific lists: “Target Birds” and “Species to Expect”. The site descriptions are structured for ease of use and clarity; each provides a general introduction, exact driving directions, road maps, and lodging information.
Other important elements include a general introduction to Costa Rica, an overview of tropical birds, sample itineraries, a comprehensive checklist to the birds of the country, and information about the best locations to find endemics and other sought-after species. The sites are grouped into six regions that reflect general patterns of avian distribution; this helps readers understand Costa Rica’s complex bird diversity as well as plan a dynamic trip.
This useful handbook includes numerous features:
- Details on fifty-three top birding locations from across the country.
- “Species to Expect” lists inform readers of birds that can be found at featured sites; especially common birds are presented in bold.
- “Target Birds” lists alert birders to rare and exciting species.
- All bird lists include plate references to the two most respected field guides, A Guide to the Birds of Costa Rica by F. Gary Stiles and Alexander F. Skutch and The Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide by Richard Garrigues and Robert Dean (both also published by Cornell).
- Eight sample itineraries and 107 maps are accompanied by information-birding times, driving times, and road indications-that will help readers customize their own itineraries.
- A complete checklist to the birds of the country with abundance ratings for eight representative sites.
|Dimensions||10 × 8 × 1 in|